I love this recipe as it is so tasty. A big thank you to my Nanna for sharing her recipe. I’ve enjoyed Caramel Crunch for as long as I can remember and always looked forward to visiting Nanna and Pop so I could sample my favourite version of the ‘caramel slice’. I have finally perfected it with a few mentoring sessions along the way. Thanks, Nanna! I obviously didn’t inherit your baking skills!
Makes 12 serves.
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 cup coconut desiccated
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup margarine
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tin condensed milk
- 2 tbs golden syrup
- 1 tbs margarine
- 1 x 200g chocolate (dark/milk chocolate)
- A little copha – Helps to increase mouthful and setting in warm climates
- Preheat oven to 180 deg C.
- Place dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Melt margarine, pour over dry ingredients and mix well.
- Press mixture into slice tin (thanks for my slice tin Nanna!)
- Cook for 15-20 mins.
- Cool base a little.
- Add all filling ingredients into a saucepan.
- Heat very slowly just enough for the margarine to melt.
- Add filling to the slightly cooled base.
- Combine cooking chocolate with a little copha in a metal bowl.
- Place on top of a saucepan with hot water and melt chocolate and copha together stirring throughout.
- Pour over cooled cooked base/filling.
- Place into the fridge to set.
- Cut into portions.
Enjoy this delectable dietetic moment courtesy of my Nanna! Feel free to share her superpower with your friends and family.
Be sure to join us in our community the Nutrition Empowered Mums Facebook Group for support around improving your nutrition and being a great role model for your kids.