Time: 30 mins (preparation and cooking time)
Serves: Family of 4 plus left overs
This meal is yummy, nutritious, simple and quick. The simplest meals are often the tastiest. I usually find I don’t need to buy special ingredients as I have them in the pantry and fridge. I love to make tasty quick meals during the week when we are usually at our busiest and the kids are wanting my attention before daddy comes home. The kids usually enjoy helping when the meals are quick and easy. When they are happy I’m definitely happy 🙂
To turn this meal dairy free I just leave the cheese off. I like to give the same meals to all family members accounting for their dietary requirements. I just modify the recipe appropriately where possible. I believe this is a nice way to keep things as normal as possible without focusing on the person’s allergy all the time. I could imagine it could get annoying for some people or even make them feel sad.
- ¾ packet Pasta (I used penne)
- Vegetables of your choice (I used 1 onion, 2 carrots, 1 cup broccoli, 1 cup peas, 1 cup corn)
- 400g tinned tomatoes
- 2 gloves of garlic
- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbs basil (fresh, dried or frozen)
- Pepper to taste
- 425g tin tuna
- 1 cup cheese (I used parmesan)
- Preheat the oven to 180 deg C.
- Cook pasta until almost cooked (about 8 minutes after boiling water in a saucepan).
- Chop vegetables.
- Heat fry pan on medium heat. Add oil, onion and garlic until translucent and soft. Add in the rest of the veggies, pepper and balsamic vinegar, stirring until al dente.
- Add in tuna. Break up ensuring tuna is spread evenly throughout and just warm.
- Add to baking dish: pasta, veggies and tuna mixture. Add cheese on top.
- Enjoy this delectable dietetics moment!
Do you have any recipe modification tips for allergies? If so, please leave your tips in the comments section.
Be sure to join us in our community the Nutrition Empowered Mums Facebook Group for support around improving your nutrition and being a great role model for your kids.
- Dietitian’s go to meal – Quick and nutritious stirfry
- Nachos recipe: For anyone planning on entertaining this weekend
- Prawn and Pumpkin Soup: The Dietitian’s Favourite