Christmas food! What a wonderful time of year. What I love most about this time of year is all the leftovers! Some may say the ham, rum balls or the prawns. For me leftovers mean I get to enjoy all the food again, over a couple of days without having to spend much time helping out in the kitchen, leaving time for the all-important play, rest and relaxation.
This recipe is only one of my husband’s specialities. Over the last decade, I’ve learnt a thing or two from him in the kitchen. It really is one of the tastiest potato salads I’ve tried. It is hard to go wrong with potato salad unless you don’t cook the potatoes properly.
Preparation Time: (Before and after): 40 minutes Cooking Time: 1 hour
- 5 large potatoes
- 1 onion
- 4 rashers of bacon
- 5 eggs
- 3 heaped tsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 2 tbs mayonnaise
- Olive oil
- Canola oil spray
- Preheat oven to 180 Deg C.
- Boil water in a pot.
- Prepare potatoes – Peel and cut potatoes into quarters. Add potatoes to the saucepan of boiling water and cook on a medium to high heat until almost cooked (NB-You will finish cooking the potatoes in the oven).
- Meanwhile, cook the eggs – Place eggs into a saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Once boiled, turn the temperature to a medium heat and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Once cooked. Set aside to cool.
- Allow the potatoes to cool and cut into smaller pieces.
- Place potatoes onto a baking tray and spray with canola oil. Bake potatoes in oven until golden and crispy.
- Meanwhile, fry onion and bacon with a splash of olive oil. Set aside once cooked.
- Peel the shells off the eggs and dice.
- Allow all cooked ingredients to cool slightly then combine in a large serving bowl – the potatoes, bacon, onion and eggs. Gently mix ingredients together.
- For the dressing, mix Dijon Mustard, lemon juice and mayonnaise in a separate bowl. Now mix gently throughout the rest of the dish.
- Serve and enjoy this delectable dietetics recipe!
What’s your favourite Christmas food?
Be sure to join us in our community the Nutrition Empowered Mums Facebook Group for support around improving your nutrition and being a great role model for your kids.