I’m very happy to share a recipe my friend taught me. This is a nice Italian dish that kids love – It’s such a textural experience for them. They are called yummy balls for a reason 😉 I found the dish took longer than I’m used to, but it was worth it!
Preparation Time: 40 minutes Cooking Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Serves: 6 people
- 500g mince meat
- 1/2 sweet potato
- 1 zucchini
- 1 onion
- 1 tbs parsley
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 cups rice
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 cup cheese
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 eggs
- 3 gloves garlic
- 3 cans of diced tomato
- 4 tsp sugar
- 3 cups of water (I ended up adding a 1 L water total so the sauce did not reduce too much during the process of cooking the rice inside the balls).
- 4 tbs balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dice onion.
- Fry onion in a sauce pan.
- Grate zucchini and sweet potato (I used an electric food processor so save some time).
- Add meat ball ingredients to a large bowl.
- Mix ingredients thoroughly.
- Roll mixture into balls. Set aside.
- Start making the sauce – In a large sauce pan fry the onion in oil on a medium heat, add tomato, 3 cups of water to start off with, sugar, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Turn to high heat – Reduce to low once sauce boils. Add the balls.
- Simmer on low for about 1 hour or until rice is cooked and sauce has reduced, stirring occasionally. Add extra water if sauce reduces too much.
- Serve yummy balls topped with sauce and enjoy this delectable dietetic moment courtesy of my friend!
Be sure to join us in our community the Nutrition Empowered Mums Facebook Group for support around improving your nutrition and being a great role model for your kids.